Process: Foam pattern made from polystyrene foam in a steel die. Patterns assembled on a sprue, coated with refractory material then placed in a metal flask, surrounded by compacted sand. Molten metal poured into mold dissolving foam pattern, creating the casting. After solidification, castings are cleaned and ready for use.
- Size Range: 1 Lb. To 500 Lbs.
- Normal Lead Times- Samples: 6-10 Weeks
- Production: 4-6 Weeks
- Materials Available: Iron and aluminum.
- Nearly unlimited design freedom.
- No cores needed.
- 1 degree of draft or less.
- Can cast many features and reduce machining costs.
- Good directional solidification means full grain structure and good casting integrity.
- Good for complex parts.
- Tolerance up to + - .005
- Higher tooling cost.
- Glue line witness.